Tuesday, February 7, 2012

In your opinion,whats the best breed of dog for field trials or hunting game?

it doesn't have to be a gun dog lol it could be any breed,but what do you think?

i personally think springer spaniels are amazing gun dogs for many reasons...not just because i have one

what do you guys think?In your opinion,whats the best breed of dog for field trials or hunting game?
WHICH "game"???

Your ESS would STINK ...would be utterly useless....at what my dogs EXCEL at!

Mine are lousy at cougar.

Never heard "Horses for courses" ,obviously.
I have a pointer hound mix, and they rock. :D I think there are many dogs that would fit what you are asking for. To pick the absolute best breed, depends on what you are hunting.



Pointers are more bird dogs, and obviously they "point" at the game. If you want to run down a deer, get a blue tick or other hound. If you want to kill rats, get a Jack Russell or dashhound. Then there are retrievers, who go get your game and bring it back to you. I thought springer spaniels were more into retrieving through water? Again, it really depends on the game and what you want the dog to do.



Many many dog breeds are designed to be hunters assistants, but each breed serves a different function.In your opinion,whats the best breed of dog for field trials or hunting game?
That's one of those questions, if you ask 10 different hunters, you'll get 12 different opinions, LOL.



I live in the heart of pheasant country and it's a debate that can cause fistfights, especially if there's drinking involved when the debate starts, LOL.



The more I learn about hunting dogs %26amp; training dogs for upland bird hunting, the more I am impressed with the French Brittany (脡pagneul Breton). The AKC considers the "French" and "American" Brittany to be the same breed- but the French dogs conform to the FCI standard for the breed- different overall structure, different allowable coat colors, etc. Arguably, if you are looking for a hunting Brittany from a strictly "working" lines, you'll find consistent working ability among the French line dogs, because they are strictly used for field work- there is no "field/show" split.



Obviously the type of game you're hunting depends on the type of dog you'll prefer. Pointers have a longer range on them- they'll run out further, and people who hunt on foot may find it harder to keep their dog within shot range. Spaniels of all types tend to stay closer %26amp; are preferred by a lot of foot hunters. Waterfowlers look for a good retriever, and a heavy dog with a dense water resistant coat that can withstand icy waters when retrieving a bird- Labs and other retrievers are the preferred breed.



I'm by no means an expert. Just in the process of learning. And for what it's worth, I've got a mystery mutt who makes for a perfectly passable pheasant hunting dog. For a casual hunter, all you need is a dog with a good nose, lots of drive %26amp; some reliable training to keep the dog under contorl in the field :).In your opinion,whats the best breed of dog for field trials or hunting game?
field work - english setter

retriever - lab

both of which no longer look anything like what they were originally bred to be

hunting - terrier. which breed depends on which type of prey. the terrier breeders have managed to maintain their breeds types rather than altering them to make them more competitive.



i hardly would expect an ess, a lab or a gordon to excel at what saints excel at - but last I knew, st. lady also owns more than one breed.



i thought targeting other members was against the community guidelines and terms of service, but i guess some people are more equal than others.
German Shorthaired Pointers....great versatility breed. Can hunt upland birds as well as water fowl. Point, flush %26amp; retreive. Do very well in field trials %26amp; under ordinary hunting conditions. Have a lot of courage %26amp; stamina. Very intelligent. Usually posess a lot of natural ability.

Not only are the good in the field but also make good show dogs.
I can't name a dog that is good for all field trials and for all hunting games. From my hunting experience:



For black bear: Mountain View Cur

For raccoon: Bluetick Coonhound

For coyote: Greyhound

For deer: Scottish Deerhound



...and the list could go on



The same situation with rifles. There isn't a rifle out there perfect for all hunting types.
Yeeeeyyyyy My kinda question!



You'd be lucky to get any other breed that ain't classed as a gundog to work well for you as a gundog. Having said that, my mongrel is great at flushing, and he also retrieves dummies to hand. But he just isn't as good as my Springer, and he wouldn't do well if I took him out on a shoot.



What are you using the dog for though? Flushing, pointing, beating, picking up....?



Ok, if it's totally *my* opinion I'm gonna be biased and go with my breed.

Yep, Field Springer Spaniel. flushes, goes into all covers- brambles, long grass, water hedges etc you name it, she's in. She locates the object and retrieves it. She's also proving fairly easy to train. Hopefully we're off beating in February, so that should be fun!



But I would LOVE to work a Cocker. Field bred of course. They are much more busier and driven and get on with their job. My next gundog will be a Cocker.

However, I also like field labs, wouldn't mind giving one of them a go.

But it's the way those Spaniels move, their size and the fact they just don't care if they come out of the undergrowth with a collection of branches hanging off their ears, or a cut on their heads- they're solid and great!



http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/4052鈥?/a>

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4248鈥?/a> -- she just works so well for me.

As soon as I got home today, I headed straight out and we did some training. She just loves it and couldn't wait to begin.



But hopefully, he'll be my next hunting partner! http://www.workingcockersonline.com/whau鈥?/a>

Though I will ALWAYS have a Springer.



ADD- BYB's.. lol!! Hahaha I've never seen a St Bernard hunt either, unless she means hunting people! But no springer's would be useless at hunting RATS!



Oh dear- thumbs down! For my OWN opinion. I am fairly experienced in the gundog world as well, hmm...



*** Oh I didn't mention. Over in England, you only really get Springers, Cockers and Labs in the field. Occasionally you might get a GSP or another HPR dog, but RARELY.
WOW St Lady... I never stop learning... I didn't know ST BERNARDS were HUNTING DOGS!!!111!!



Oh... yeah... that's right... You're NOT who you claim to be. I forgot there for a moment.



Gordon Setters are known as a gentleman's hunting dog, they excell at working closely with their owner. I love 'em, but I wouldn't call them the BEST tho. Gotta go wwith German Shorthair Pointer for that, I think.
I think Labradors but that's my opinion. Because if I ever hinted, the dogs would do mostly retreiving.





I have an uncle who hunts with Bracco Italianos and say's they're excellent mutli-purpose gundogs, but I've never met one, so I wouldn't know.
Wow! Just looking at the question alone I though "Springer Spaniel". I love them and they are one of my favorite dogs. I've learned tons about them and Springer Spaniels (next to Boston Terriers-which I have) are number one!



They're great field dogs. You should post your dog's picture up here sometime!
Diferent dogs for diferent trails.



Springer for hunting.

Labrador for retrieving

English pointer for pointing

and of course my breed the Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla for the HPR.
German Shorthaired Pointer. Best all around athlete, in my opinion. Too rambunctious for me, but they are extremely impressive to watch work.
I've watched two english setters work the fields not only do they excel at it, they genuinely love it!
my grandpa uses Brittany spaniels
Dogs bred for hunting?

No comments:

Post a Comment